This is great to serve while you are hosting Grey Cup night or if you just want a quiet dinner with the family. You can easily double the batch to have lots of left overs!
|1 tbsp||Cooking Oil|
|1||Siwin Ukrainian Sausage 300 g, thinly sliced|
|1||Medium Yellow Onion, chopped|
|1||Medium Red Pepper, chopped|
|1||Medium Yellow Pepper, chopped|
|1 cup||Celery, chopped|
|5||Garlic Cloves, minced|
|3 cups||Chicken Broth|
|1 can||Crushed Tomatoes, 4.5 oz.|
|1 tsp||Dried Thyme|
|1 tsp||Dried Oregano|
|1 1/2 cups||Long Grain Rice|
|1 cup||Okra, fresh|
|1/4 cup||Green Onions, chopped|
|1/4 cup||Fresh Parsley, chopped|
- In a large pot heat the oil onto medium high. Add the Ukrainian sausage and cook, stirring until it browns. About 6-7 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add the onion, peppers, and celery to the pot. Cook for another 6-8 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, paprika, thyme, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste, stir together. Add in the sausages and rice, and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a light boil over medium high heat, and cover until the rice is almost tender. About 20-25 minutes. Add extra broth if needed.
- Stir in the okra and the shrimp and continue to cook until shrimp are cooked through, stirring occasionally. About 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in green onions, and parsley and serve immediately.